Piraeus is the largest port in Greece, it is located near Athens. There is the direct metro line from Athens to Piraeus.
You may want to visit the beaches of Piraeus because of fact that you can take the subway from Athens. But in reality, it isn't so easy to get there, because there is a fairly long distance from the metro stations to the beaches themselves. It is much easier and faster to go to other beaches of Athens (for example, by tram).
Visiting Piraeus beaches probably makes sense only when you live somewhere nearby.
How to get to Votsalakia beach
- On foot from the metro station Piraeus (2.5 km, about 40-50 minutes on the way).
- On foot from the Neo Faliro metro station (2 km, on the way about 35-45 minutes, uphill).
- Trolleybus 20, stop ΠΑΡΑΣΚΕΥΑ (the timetable and route of the trolleybus).
From personal experience I can say that the beaches of Piraeus (in particular, Votsalakia) are one of the most polluted beaches around Athens. It is not pleasant to swim - a lot of garbage floats around Only if you swim far from the shore the water becomes cleaner.
There are several changing rooms on the beach. The entrance to the beach is free. To get to the Votsalakia beach you will have to go down the stairs.
It is located a little further away from metro stations than Votsalakia.
You can get to the beach:
- On foot from the metro station Piraeus (2.8 km, about 50 minutes on the way).
- On foot from the Neo Faliro metro station (3.9 km, more than an hour on the way).
- Bus 904, stop ΠΛΑΖ (Plaz), timetable and route map. The bus runs rarely.
Entrance to the beach is free. A lot of stones are on the shore.
There was not enough time to visit this beach, so if you have been there, we will be grateful for any useful information (please use contact form below).